Studies reveal that the following supplements will help in treating acne:
- Tea tree oil – Gels with 5% tea tree oil content are very effective in treating acne. This supplement works slowly. This may cause certain side effects like skin reaction (contact dermatitis) and breast development in boys.
- Alpha hydroxyl acids – These acids are found abundantly in apples, grapes, citrus fruits and sugar cane. They unclog pores and remove the dead skin cells. They even improve skin texture. In certain cases, these acids may cause effects like mild stinging, skin irritation and redness.
- Azelaic acid – This acid has got antibacterial properties and is very effective compared to other conventional treatments. It is found in animal products and whole grain cereals.
- Zinc supplements – This plays an important role in reducing inflammation and wound healing, both contribute to improve acne. It helps reduce acne flare-ups.
- Brewer’s yeast – A specific strain known as CBS 5926 is very helpful in reducing acne. But it has got side effects that include intestinal upset and migraines.
You should always take doctor’s advice before trying any of these natural remedies. Some diet supplements can cause certain side effects and some can even alter the medication effectiveness.