Foods to Clear Acne
You are what you eat and your skin reflects it. According to studies, people maintaining a proper healthy diet are more likely to have better and clearer skin than those who maintain a poor nutritional diet. So, in addition to proper skin scare regime and using good skin care products, you also need to maintain a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water in order to have beautiful flawless skin. If you are not sure what are the healthy foods good for acne, read through the article. Following are some of the best foods to clear acne.
Foods Rich in Vitamin B-2:
Stress is another major factor that contributes to acne breakouts. Taking more foods rich in vitamin B-2 can help you reduce stress. Some of the foods that contain high amount of vitamin B-2 include fish, eggs, milk, meat, whole grains and green leafy vegetables like spinach.
Foods Rich in Vitamin B-3:
Vitamin B-3 is also one of the best foods to help you get rid of acne. It helps to improve blood circulation in your body, allowing the blood to transfer more nutrients, oxygen and blood to your skin. Some of the foods rich in vitamin B-3 include lean meats, eggs, avocados and peanuts. B-3 vitamin also helps to increase metabolizing of sugar, fat and protein, and lower cholesterol levels.
Foods Rich in Vitamin A:
According to the “University of Maryland Medical Center”, taking vitamin A can affect the skin similar to retinol drugs which are usually used for treating acne. Vitamin A helps reducing keratin and sebum production and control further acne breakouts. Also, it is essential for repairing and maintaining skin tissue. Retinoid drugs that are usually prescribed for treating acne like Tazorac and Retin-A are extracted from vitamin A. This vitamin has the same acne fighting properties like retinoid drugs, however with lesser side effects. Some of the good natural sources of vitamin A include chicken liver, beef liver, eggs, sweet potatoes, carrots, fortified cereals, spinach, cantaloupes, mangoes, apricots, carrot juices, papaya, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkins and green leafy vegetables.
Foods Rich in Vitamin E:
Vitamin E is known for its anti-oxidant properties that help to protect your body from harmful free radicals together with other antioxidants, thus improving your skin. This vitamin also helps in regulating vitamin A and ensures that the levels of vitamin A are within the normal range. Fortified cereals, seeds, nuts, green leafy vegetables and vegetable oils are some of the foods rich in vitamin E.
Foods High in Antioxidants:
- Eating antioxidant rich foods will not leave you disappointed, whether you want to have a healthy skin or to cure your acne problems.
- Antioxidants are substances that protect the body and skin from free radicals. The antioxidant lycopene is known to keep your skin healthy and younger. Lack of lycopene is usually responsible for acne breakouts and other skin problems.
- Individuals with acne problems have shown significant improvement after the intake of lycopene rich foods. So, if you are suffering from acne lesions or pimples, make sure that you include more lycopene rich foods in your daily diet, this will definitely help you cure and prevent further acne breakouts.
- Some of the best foods rich in lycopene are watermelon, tomatoes, pink and red grapefruit, guavas and dried Parsley and Basil.
- Vitamin E and zinc are also powerful antioxidants, which can help to fight acne. Vitamin E can be found abundantly in vegetable oils, almonds, broccoli, sunflower seeds and peanuts. And foods that are rich in zinc are whole grains, eggs and mushrooms. You can get significant amount of antioxidants in most of the fresh vegetables and fruits.
Omega 3 Rich Foods:
- It is essential to have enough omega 3 essential fatty acids in your body in order to have healthy skin. Normal human body requires omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in an equal amount to function your body properly, since omega-6 fatty acids helps to increase inflammation and omega-3 fatty acids can minimize inflammation.
- Omega-3s are good fat that are essential for healthy skin. Lack of omega 3 can make your skin dry and increase the risk of acne breakouts. Following a diet rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids can prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells in hair follicles by clogging pro-inflammatory prostaglandins.
- Incorporating more foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids is one of the best natural remedies to cure and prevent acne symptoms. You can definitely transform lifeless and dull skin into a healthy and youthful glow by following a healthy diet rich in omega 3 essential fatty acids.
- This essential nutrient can be obtained in cold water fishes like mackerel, sardines, salmon, halibut, herring and tuna. Some of the good foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids include walnuts, flaxseed, raw tofu, pumpkin seeds, soy-beans and flax seed oil.
Canola Oil, Flaxseeds and Walnuts:
- Walnuts, canola oil and flaxseeds are some of the good natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids which are derived from plant based foods.
- Walnuts supply many valuable nutrients including vitamin E, manganese and tryptophan, which is an amino acid that encourages feelings of calmness.
- Flaxseeds contain high amount of fiber while canola oil supply a nutritious alternative to bad-fat sources like margarine, butter, high and shortening cheese.
- So, walnuts, flaxseeds and canola oil are great anti-acne foods for vegetarians who cannot receive essential omega-3 fatty acids from fatty fish. Include them in your daily diet to ensure that you get enough omega-3 fat to improve the health of your skin and your overall health.
High Fiber Foods:
Foods to clear acne also include fiber rich foods . It is found that indigestion is one of the main factors that contributes to acne breakouts. And, having foods rich in fiber on a regular basis is the easiest solution to improves your digestion. Other skin problems, apart from acne, that have been associated with poor digestion include eczema and rosacea. Improper digestion can lead to accumulation of harmful chemicals or toxins in your body, which can lead to the formation of acne and pimples. More intake of foods high in fiber helps to regulate bowel movement and improve digestive function, and prevent constipation. Thereby, it helps to heal acne lesions and prevent further breakouts of pimples. Following are some of the fiber rich foods
- Vegetables such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, artichoke and carrots.
- Almonds, whole wheat bread, brown rice and oatmeal.
- Fruits such as apples, oranges, dried figs and banana.
Zinc Rich Foods:
Zinc plays a key role when it comes to maintaining healthy skin. It helps with cell growth, hormone regulation, protein metabolism and wound healing. Zinc also helps to protect your body from free radicals that can damage your skin. It helps to regulate hormones, especially testosterone that contributes to acne breakouts, and prevent overproduction of sebum through its role in collagen formation and protein synthesis. Taking zinc supplements usually works to fight against acne effectively. Studies have found that people with insufficient amount of zinc in the body are more likely to suffer from skin problems like acne. Therefore, consuming zinc gluconate supplements will help you reduce acne symptoms. However, ensure that you consult your doctor before taking the supplement and get the right daily dosage. Zinc deficiency can contribute to the formation of acne and other skin lesions. Following a diet rich in zinc can serve the purpose of healing and preventing acne. Some of the good natural sources of zinc include peanuts, low fat roasted beef, roasted pumpkin seeds, lamb, pork, chicken, salmon, clams, lobster, whole grains, nuts, beans and dairy Products.
Drinking plenty of water everyday is as essential as consuming foods good for acne-free skin. The best way to treat any skin ailment is to keep your skin hydrated always. Your body requires plenty of water to flush out toxins or waste products from your body. Without getting enough amount of water in your body, the cells cannot restore your skin properly, thus resulting in various skin ailments like acne or pimples.
Scientific researches and studies have revealed that food allergies can be associated with acne. Especially dairy products can be the culprit. The allergy causes the body to fight the food that is being put in the body. This fight causes toxins to be created in the body. Then the liver needs to eliminate these toxins. If it is not able to do this, the toxins cause havoc in the body. This can lead to pimples, zits, whiteheads and blackheads. If the pores in the skin become filled with oil and bacteria, this causes a reaction in the skin. This inflammation can make red pumps appear on the skin. So, pay attention to the subsequent reactions you are getting after eating certain types of food. If you are not sure, do some food allergy tests and figure out what food type you are allergic to. Milk is one common food that results in acne breakouts in people who are allergic to milk.
Other List of Foods that Help to Avoid Acne:
Organic Green Tea:
Organic green tea contains relatively large amounts of catechins, which is an anti-inflammatory chemical that fights the free-radicals present in the body and avoid fine lines.
Olive oil is rich in mono-unsaturated fats such as sesame oil or olive contains healthy fatty acids that are required to stay healthy. Fats being the fundamental part of cell membranes, it helps to supply nutrients required by the skin.
Cranberries, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, all contain phytochemicals and antioxidants which are good for skin cells and make your skin glow. However, you cannot receive the same benefits from preserved or frozen fruits.
People believe that rubbing their skin or faces with a watermelon rind can give a beautiful skin. And yes, it’s absolutely true, since watermelon is high in vitamins C, B and A, and the acids contained in watermelon works as a great natural exfoliant for the skin. Moreover, it contains plenty of water that helps to hydrate your body including your skin.
Yogurt and Kefir:
Kefir and yoghurt like beverages give significant amounts of nutrients such as calcium, protein and Probiotics. Yoghurt is one of the best foods that prevent acne and give beautiful skin.To enjoy the benefits of yoghurt; you can simply apply it over your face every morning and leave it on for a few minutes. Then, rinse it off with cold water. It will help to keep your skin healthy, fresh and smooth. A mixture of lemon juice and yoghurt is also good for softening hands.
Lemon is known for its natural bleaching properties, which help to lighten skin tone and reduce freckles. You can simply cut a lemon into half and rub it over your skin with some granulated sugars on the skin for at least one minute. It may be a little too harsh for people who have very sensitive skin. So, if you get any bad reaction, stop it immediately and try other things.
Low-Fat Dairy Products:
Vitamin A is one of the most essential components for healthy skin. And, low-fat dairy products are probably the best sources of vitamin A. According to the skin specialists and experts, the health of your skin cells depends upon the dietary vitamin A.
Brazil Nuts, Cereals and Whole-Wheat Bread:
Dietary selenium found in cereals, eggs, meat, fish and nuts, is essential for maintaining healthy skin cells. Brazil nuts are also a great natural dietary source.
Whole grains are also one of the most effective anti-acne foods. They provide many valuable nutrients like fiber, B-vitamins and iron to your body. And the good thing about whole grains is that, they are low-glycemic foods, which meant whole grains have a little impact on the levels of blood sugar when compared to high-glycemic foods like sugar. So, maintain a low-glycemic diet can help you reduce acne symptoms. So, replace refined carbohydrates like enriched breads, snack foods and cereals with whole grain equivalents to enjoy the most benefits of whole grains. Don’t forget to check nutrition labels when buying carbohydrate-based foods to make sure that whole grains are the main ingredients of that particular food. Some of the nutrient-rich whole grains are whole wheat, millet, brown rice, oats, wild rice, barley, popcorn, quinoa and Bulgar.
Diet for Acne Free Skin:
You also need to avoid certain types of foods in order to maintain beautiful skin. Refrain or limit the intake of fried foods, because fried foods and healthy skin usually don’t go well together. Consuming fried foods in moderate amount may not cause acne, but taking too much of fried foods can contribute to the formation of pimples. Excessive intake of beverages, high sugar foods and processed foods (chips) can also worsen the existing skin problems as well as increase the risk of further acne breakouts. Drinking plenty of water everyday is as essential as consuming foods good for acne-free skin. Drinking a lot of water can help detoxify your body and therefore improves the health of your skin
On the whole, the key to maintain a healthy, flawless skin is to follow a healthy diet that includes enough amounts of food for acne free skin. So, to attain that smooth, beautiful skin, it is not always necessary to use those expensive skin care products and empty your pocket. All you need is to do is to follow a healthy, balanced diet by incorporating the above mentioned foods to clear acne, drink plenty of water daily and maintain proper skin care regime.