Does Dandruff Cause Acne?
In medical terms, dandruff is referred to as Seborrheic Dermatitis. Often, dandruff accompanies the factors of acne, though it is not proved yet. This particularly develops in adolescents. Most of the times, bothering skin conditions are followed by acne vulgaris. Like acne, dandruff is also caused by diet, stress, heredity and hormonal changes too. In some cases, dandruff is related with tiny pimples on the scalp. Apart from treating acne, salicylic acid may also be used for eliminating dandruff too. Some over the counter dandruff shampoos contain coal tar, zinc or salicylic acid.
For treating persistent problems of dandruff, the health care provider may suggest strong shampoos. You can use shampoo every day, as excess usage may not trigger dandruff. However, if you scratch the scalp, it may worsen the condition. Itching is the most common symptom of acne and dandruff.
Causes of Acne and Dandruff:
Causes of dandruff and acne are almost similar. Skin pores in the scalp are blocked with the scalp debris. Usually, dermatologists recommend dandruff medicines first, if you have mild acne and dandruff.
- Dandruff is caused due to improper maintenance of the scalp.
- Hypersensitivity to dust and smoke may also trigger dandruff.
- Malnutrition, hormonal imbalances and mental stress may trigger dandruff.
- Exposing the skin to extreme weather conditions, usage of hair colors and harsh shampoos may cause dandruff.
Solutions to Prevent Acne and Dandruff:
Keeping the skin clean and maintaining the clean scalp helps in preventing acne and dandruff. Too much collection of oil on the scalp must be prevented. Excessive oily and sweet foods, and greasy foods must be avoided to control dandruff.
Treatments for Dandruff and Acne:
Dandruff may manifest into acne on the skin. Dandruff causes infection on the skin. Natural herbs may be used to solve the dandruff problem. Certain herbal and natural remedies are effective in treating acne and dandruff:
- Vinegar can be used for treating acne and dandruff.
- Homeopathy can also be used in contrast with the natural medications.
- Diet control also helps in relieving dandruff.
- Other therapies include natural hormone replacement therapy, traditional Chinese medicines, oxygen therapy and detoxification therapy can be used for treating acne and dandruff.